I’m just back from the last evening social event of HxGN LIVE 2016, A Night at the Park, where conference attendees were treated to a magical evening at Disneyland. For the conference’s first time in California, there was no better way than to celebrate the success of the last three days of innovative idea sharing, forward thinking and limitless problem solving than where the heartbeat of creativity and ingenuity began.
As Walt Disney himself said “It’s kind of fun to do the impossible”, HxGN LIVE has certainly been fun. From launches of never-before-seen innovations to presentations envisioning the next groundbreaking concept, Hexagon users are making the impossible possible every day.
Quality control in manufacturing is breaking all previous boundaries with automated inspections and processes. Manufacturing Intelligence’s Automation and Industry 4.0 Summit with industry leaders and a hosted Q&A session sparked inspiring discussion about how rich data visualisation and advanced reporting leads to faster analysis and decision making for higher-quality product and more process stability.
Construction sites are challenged daily on how data can be better managed and shared. In Process, Power & Marine’s Integrated Construction Execution with EcoSys EPC and SmartPlant Construction, product strategists addressed how project controls and technology have led to today’s mobile worker creating tangible value in organisations from around the world. The industry is well on its way to strategic project intelligence and analytics.
In true Disney fashion, breaking the rules many times leads to innovation. Safety & Infrastructure’s The Art of Rule-Breaking presentation explored exactly how today’s technology landscape is shaking expectations and going beyond what is today to what could be tomorrow if we’re willing to break some rules.
Sharing is Caring
Meeting with several members of the media during the annual media luncheon, Hexagon CEO and President Ola Rollén along with Hexagon business presidents shared Hexagon vision’s to provide world-changing solutions for the biggest challenges of today.
Questions asked included:
- What is Hexagon’s vision for manufacturing?
- What is the outlook for future surveyors?
- Are solutions diluting today’s measurement professional?
- What is the future of manufacturing intelligence?
- Is Hexagon’s focus on software moving to a hardware agnostic company?
- Captured knowledge is moving to the beginning of the manufacturing process and combining assets to revolutionise manufacturing.
- The next generation of measurement professionals will continue to bring the industry into the digital age and will do so with ease and comfort as they’ve grown up with technology.
- Machines with built-in customisation are needed to automise processes that no longer need human interaction, freeing professionals to focus on bigger issues.
- Computer tomography and 3D printing are moving manufacturing forward in an evolutionary process, not a revolution, which Hexagon supports with its many Manufacturing Intelligence solutions
- Open systems and a flexible strategy are needed to support a diverse mix of industries, and hardware will continue to advance to support this inclusive software.
Leading Digital Design
Disney himself would have been proud to see the innovation displayed during the annual Geosystems Plan Contest as contestants shared reality capture deliverables.
“Our customers never cease to amaze in this contest,” said Mike Harvey, 2016 Plan Contest chair. “All the submissions proved how extraordinary reality capture can be, and it was no easy task to select the winner.”
Winners, alas, were chosen, and this year’s are:
- Teri LeFebvre of Urban Systems in Civil/Survey .
- Dylan LeFebvre of Allpoint Consultants in Plant/Marine
- Chris Jacobs of Delta Engineering in Building/Construction and Buildings/Heritage.
Leica Geosystems will soon have a social media popular vote for this year’s entries. More information coming soon.
Though we’ve covered a lot at HxGN LIVE 2016 so far, we still have one more day to continue sharing provocative ideas and great stories.
Stay tuned to see how we wrap up this conference after Disney’s own heart of creativity and innovation. And always remember, “if you can dream it, you can do it.” —now that’s shaping smart change.
Monica Miller Rodgers
Communications Director, Hexagon Geosystems